Wednesday, September 17, 2008

You've Got Hate Mail

I recieved this annonymous, handwritten, no return address letter in the mail yesterday. I have altready formulated my thoughts on this, and I will write them on my return from Guatemala, but I would love to hear your thoughts on this:

Tom,
     Would you Please resign! Move on!
    The children did not have bible camp this year.
        There is not a new membership class.
        The teens can't help pick up trash 
         along the highway; because the youth
        director is not smart enough to look
       into this.
      the teens can't help make apple pies
       because the youth director is not
      smart enough to look into this
                  you act and dress like
      you are of the world and not for
       the world.

      Please look into resigning
      and moving on!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, that sucks. I'm sorry you got a note like that, although I didn't realize that you weren't smart enough to look into picking up trash. I'm not very good at making apple pies either, probably because I'm not all that smart either.

As for your dress, tell them that your beard almost makes you amish, which are not of the world, so it all balances out.

Anonymous said...

Hey man -

Sorry this happened. Now is a good time to remember that you make a huge difference in the lives of lots of people. That stuff is crap and you need to treat it as such.

Will you be judged for not making enough apple pies and not picking up enough trash? Probably. Especially since the scripture is so clear about the alignment between mission, cooking, and trash. Doesn't Jesus say in Matthew that when he was hungry that you came and fed him apple pies?

On a more serious note - it's really important that you don't respond to this person's comments. If you're like me - you are formulating some way to come back and defend yourself. There is no need to do so. Anyone with half a brain stem knows the truth, and this stuff will not stick. Fighting back in any way only makes you look bad. Let it go.

ben

Unknown said...

I hate to say it Tom...but maybe we should have planned a missions trip to Pierson's apple orchard to learn how to make apple pies and on the way there we could have picked up the highway cause that is the ONLY way to help a church and its community.

Amy and I just want to ditto Ben's statement about responding/reacting to it. I also was meaning to email you this week to see how things were going and let you know that we have been/are praying for you and your family.

Just remember that we have a limited perspective in which it is sometimes hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but God's perspective is unlimited. He has much bigger plans for you and the church.

Lance and Amy

Anonymous said...

That was a very cowardly and mean-spirited way for someone to express themselves. My advice, ignore it.