Friday, April 24, 2009

Turkey Hunt 09

 

I decided this year, to give turkey hunting a shot. I am very glad I did. I asked my friend Steve to show me the ropes, and he was a great teacher. I learned a whole lot about turkey hunting in a period of a few weeks.

 

Thursday morning at 4am I woke up and got ready and was in place on our site by 5:15am. We sat and waited for the woods to wake up. Then we heard the gobbling from the trees. A large turkey decended from the tree and took position behind a bush roughly 30 yards from our location. I could not get a shot in, and he fled once he realized that we were there. We tried a few other spots, but to no avail.

 

Friday morning we decided to wake up and get to our site by 4:30am instead. We did so, but when the forest awoke, the gobbling was far away at a different roost spot. We quickly packed up and headed through the swamp towards the turkeys. We took position on the outside of the swamp and started to call. They were far away and I thought that we were not going to see a turkey at all. Then we heard a gobble within 50 yards and closing! I put my mask on and raised my gun. Two turkeys came into the clearing and Steve said, "take it." My heart was puonding so hard I could hardly hold the gun steady, but I pulled the trigger and shot a perfect head shot on the turkey.

My first turkey:
weight: 17 pounds 2 ounces
beard: 10 1/2 inches AND 1 1/2 inches. (I shot a double beard, which is rare!)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice gobbler, Tom. Mark me down as officially jealous