Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Dinner

We had a great Easter. We went to church, and had a great worship service, and then came home to feast. I made a 10 lb ham shank. I have never made a ham before, so this was a nice challenge. I love cooking. I can have a rough day at work, come home and cook, and its like therapy. Its my hobby, I guess.

Well, I took the ham and injected it, yes injected, with a glaze sauce that I came up with (apple/grape juice, cherry juice, vanilla, brown sugar, honey), and I plugged the injection points with whole cloves. I then put the ham in a pyrex and roasted it at 200F from 8am to 5pm. Then I took the remainder of the ham glaze and thickened it with corn starch and started to glaze the ham every 10 minutes at 400F for the next hour.

Wow it was great. We have like 12 bags of ham in the freezer, but I'll eat it. (I also took the ham bone and boiled it with some shank peices and got about 9 cups of ham stock for soups.) We also had mashed potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese mashed in it, steamed broccoli, and deviled eggs. It was a feast of Biblical proportions, and we are still enjoying it for lunches.

(O yeah, I baked the bone and gave it to the dog, nothing was wasted)

1 comment:

Jason Raitz said...

Man, I am hungry! That sounds incredible...much like you.