Tuesday, November 27, 2007

excerpt from: Time Management for the Creative Person

So far a great book, here is an excerpt on a section on work-aholism:

"Drew Silvern...diagnosed with a brain tumor...writes about his ordeal. His words are both painful and revealing. Like many cancer patients, Silvern discovered what a gift of life is and how short it can be. "There are days when I wake up, strap on my portable CD player, and walk Beasley for an hour along Sunset Cliffs... Often, I feel an indescribable joy that I'm able to do this. It's a cancer dividend, and I always offer a prayer of thanksgiving at the midpoint. In my first life (before being diagnosed with cancer), the morning walk would have probably have been just another thing to get done before work. Cancer has given me a raw appreciation for the life I'm sure I never would have felt without it. In a way, my cancer came along at the worst possible time, and maybe the best. It made the past the past and the present the present. It healed most of the old scars and propelled me beyond regret or family resentments. It brought clarity of purpose to my life and a sudden ability to see the glass as half full."

Let's not wait until we are diagnosed with a fatal cancer to see life this way. Pray that you can have the gift of living life with "the past being the past and the present being the present." I am praying that.

No comments: